Micro Module 5: Nutrition for Seniors, Eat Smart, Live Smart
About this course
Eating and drinking is a fundamental activity that most healthy adults associate with pleasure. Healthy eating can be a challenge as we age. For an older adult with a long-term illness, good nutrition takes on even more importance. Older adults may have health problems that cause a loss of appetite or make it hard to eat. This could include conditions such as dementia and other chronic illnesses. They may be on restricted diets that make foods taste bland. They may also have dental problems that make it hard to chew or swallow foods.
Dietary intake and nutritional status not only play a major role in the overall quality of health of older people, but also have an impact on their satisfaction with life. Healthy eating is not all about calorie counting and scouring food labels. Meals are also a time for connection, and good food is one of life’s basic pleasures, at any age. Let’s walk through the problems in eating that may be encountered as one age, and the healthy eating principles for the seniors.
Is healthy eating a challenge for ageing?
Dietary Intake and Hydration Status of Seniors : an overlooked activity
Signs of a Decrease in Appetite
How to Encourage Seniors with Eating Problems to Eat More
For Seniors Who Need to Gain Weight
For Seniors with Chewing and/or Swallowing Problems
Attention to Food presentation
Basic Tips on Diet for Older People
Healthy Eating Principles
Choose healthy fats
Limit high sugar food and drinks
Food Exchange List
- Cook Smart 27
- Nutrient Information Inquiry
- The Food Pyramid – A Guide to a Balanced Diet
- Good Food To Eat(Available in Chinese only)
- Nutrition Screening
- Dysphagia – Oral cavity exercise(Available in Chinese only)
- Assist Dysphagia and Hands dysfunction for eating(Available in Chinese only)
- The Preparation of Minced and Pureed Meals
- 制作糊餐和碎餐(Available in Chinese only)
- 簡易制作美味營養糊餐(Available in Chinese only)
- What is a Smooth Pureed Food Consistency?
- Dysphagia Recipe – Dinner: Roast Chicken & Vegetables